Give the gift of leftist literature.
Some of our top picks from our Big Holiday Sale.
Click here for more curated collections.
Solitude & Company: The Life of Gabriel García Márquez Told with Help from His Friends, Family, Fans, Arguers, Fellow Pranksters, Drunks, and a Few Respectable Souls
Freedom Summer For Young People: The Violent Season That Made Mississippi Burn and Made America a Democracy
We're very proud to announce that, for the month of December, we are donating 10% of our online proceeds to Hunger Free America. Hunger Free America is a national direct service and advocacy nonprofit group working to enact the policies and programs needed to end domestic hunger and ensure that all Americans have sufficient access to nutritious food.
- Hunger has skyrocketed from 37 million Americans before the pandemic to an estimated 50 million Americans this year including 17 million children (according to Feeding America).
- From March 2020 to July 2020, the total SNAP caseload in 33 states increased from 30.8 million to 35.2 million – a 14 percent jump (according to the new HFA Annual Hunger Report).
- The total amount of SNAP benefits received from March 2020 to July 2020 in 22 states – including California, Texas, Florida, New York, and Ohio – went up from $3 billion to $4.4 billion, which represents a 47% increase (also according to the new HFA Annual Hunger Report.)
- 22.5 percent of food pantries and soup kitchens across the country were forced to turn people away, reduce the amount of food distributed, or limit hours due to a lack of resources in 2020 (also according to the new HFA Annual Hunger Report).
- Food pantries and soup kitchens across the country experienced a nearly 15 percent increase in the number of people served in 2020 (also according to the new HFA Annual Hunger Report).
- Hunger Free America found that 37% of parents nationwide were cutting the size of meals or skipping meals for their children in the spring of 2020 because they did not have enough money for food. That means that the current child hunger rate is more than 2.5x the 2019 rate found by USDA.
- New federal data analyzed by Northwestern University also found that overall food insecurity has doubled, and child food insecurity has tripled, during the pandemic.
Since its founding in 1983, Hunger Free America has been an effective champion in the fight for economic, racial, and food justice. As a leading research and advocacy organization, they work to implement innovative yet practical solutions to hunger, working to address the root causes of hunger and engage Americans of all backgrounds in the fight to ensure that our society provides living wage jobs and an adequate government nutrition safety net. By working to end hunger through government policy instead of charity, Hunger Free America offers a powerful lobby for real, substantial improvement to America's anemic social safety net.
As a direct service provider, Hunger Free America assists low-income families in obtaining aid from government programs such as the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) — formerly called the Food Stamp program — and the Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) program, so that people struggling to pay their bills have access to nutritious food. They also connect families nationwide with private food resources. Because the Hunger Free America staff works daily on the front lines of hunger, and because they empower low-income people to speak out on their own behalf, they are one of the nation's most effective advocates for improved economic and public policies.
We're proud to publish the work of Joel Berg, CEO of Hunger Free America and author of All You Can Eat: How Hungry is America? and America, We Need to Talk: A Self-Help Book for the Nation