Who are the new progressive leaders emerging to lead the post-Trump return to democracy in America? National political correspondent and award-winning author D.D. Guttenplan's The Next Republic is an extraordinarily intense and wide-ranging account of the recent fall and incipient rise of democracy in America. The Next Republic profiles nine successful activists who are changing the course of American history right now:
• new labor activist and author Jane McAlevey
• racial justice campaigner (and mayor of Jackson, Mississippi) Chokwe Antar Lumumba
• environmental activist (and newly elected chair of the Nebraska Democratic Party) Jane Kleeb
• Chicago’s first openly gay Latino public official Carlos Ramirez-Rosa
• #ALLOFUS co-founder Waleed Shahid
• young architects of Bernie Sanders amazing rise, digerati Corbin Trent and Zack Exley, founders of Brand New Congress
• and author and anti-corruption crusader Zephyr Teachout.
Like a cross between George Packer's The Unwinding and John F. Kennedy's Profiles in Courage, The Next Republic is both unyielding and deeply hopeful, the first book to come out of the Trump ascendency that stakes a claim for seeing beyond it.
As the lead Nation election correspondent throughout the 2015–16 election...
As the lead Nation election correspondent throughout the 2015–16 election season,...