September 27, 2013
Sixteen years went into the making of the forthcoming feature film Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom, a fictionalized biopic based on Mandela’s bestselling autobiography, coming out November 28th from the Weinstein Company and starring Idris Elba and Naomie Harris. Journalist and filmmaker Danny Schechter, who has been on the front-lines in the fight for freedom in South Africa for the past forty years, was asked by the filmmakers to make a documentary about the filming of the feature film.
Publishing on November 26th, 2013, Madiba A-Z: The Many Faces of Nelson Mandela is his companion book to the documentary, and authorized by the makers of Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom.
In anticipation of the upcoming films and book, here are our seven favorite quotes from Nelson Mandela:
- “A good head and good heart are always a formidable combination. But when you add to that a literate tongue or pen, then you have something very special.”
- “As I walked out the door toward the gate that would lead to my freedom, I knew if I didn’t leave my bitterness and hatred behind, I’d still be in prison.”
- “One of the things I learned when I was negotiating was that until I changed myself, I could not change others.”
- “There can be no keener revelation of a society’s soul than the way in which it treats its children.”
- “There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have altered.”
- “To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.”
- “You will achieve more in this world through acts of mercy than you will through acts of retribution.”
Watch the trailer for Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom here.
Pre-order your copy of Madiba A-Z: The Many Faces of Nelson Mandela here.